A Word on Wellness:
Change of plans for today's blog post... I can feel the writer in my brain trying to eloquently speak to the tragedy in Vegas, and trying to offer a larger statement about gun violence. But to no avail. Unfortunately, by now, I am able to recognize my pattern of feeling compelled to speak out, and finding myself utterly speechless at the same time. My mind works overtime on days like today. I need time (as we all do) to digest the news in order to speak to it. So I'm going to honor that. I'm going to give myself that space and in lieu of my words, here are a couple of voices that stood out to me today.
Via Glennon Doyle:
It is a terrible day - and it is okay to feel that deeply. There is nothing wrong with you- there is just something wrong. We will rise and we will work- but today- today it is okay to stop and rest and hold our hearts and people close. Stay soft. The world needs people who are strong enough to stay soft.
Via the wonderful Brene Brown:
1. Prayer + civic action are not mutually exclusive. Join me in both.
2. Step away from social media coverage and toward real people for support, action, conversation, and being with each other in collective pain. Keep informed, but don't stay glued. Our secondary trauma will not make us better helpers - it shuts us down and sends us into self-protection and blame-finding.
Sending love to Las Vegas and all of you.
PRACTICE San Francisco - a new yoga studio and space for children, teens and parents is officially open! PRACTICE will provide programming related to mindfulness, resilience and effective coping with emotion. This community will be extremely beneficial for any of you new/new-ish parents out there, or for parents who are years in and need a new perspective or more support.
- Yoga: Pre/Post-Natal, Teen and Child
- Weekly Parenting Workshops
- Mindful Parent Book Club
- Mindfulness Classes (for parents and children)
I have been waiting for a space in San Francisco that offers yoga classes specifically for teenagers, and it is finally here. Look for me on the schedule as an occasional yoga class substitute, and for future workshops!
Something to Read:
Exactly What to Do When You Feel a Panic Attack Coming On